During the period of active fruiting, cucumber plantings often suffer from various diseases and insect infestations. To effectively combat pests, it is necessary to timely and regularly treat the beds with special preparations. Experienced summer residents advise how to get rid of aphids on cucumbers in folk ways.
What is dangerous aphid
Among the main risk factors for the appearance of aphids are high temperature and excessive humidity in the garden or in the greenhouse.
If the foliage begins to curl and turn yellow, the growth of cucumber lashes sharply slows down, and the flowers and ovaries fall, it is necessary to carefully examine the lower surfaces of the leaves. Damaged plants from the wrong side will be covered with small translucent insects of light green, yellow-green or almost black color. They can form entire colonies on the foliage, gradually moving to shoots, flowers and ovaries, while the flowering time of the vegetable crop is shifted, which negatively affects its fertility.
In addition to the fact that aphids not only carry more than 50 different viruses that are difficult to fight, it attracts a large number of ants to their habitats, which feed on the waste products of insects. Therefore, pest control must be comprehensive.
Methods of struggle
Not all summer residents want to use chemicals to process cucumber beds. Experts recommend using folk remedies that are easy to prepare on your own:
- A simple and effective way to combat aphids is to process the culture with dandelion infusion. It is necessary to grind 0.5 kg of roots and leaves and pour them with 3 liters of hot water. Soak for 24 hours, strain, pour into a spray bottle and carefully process the foliage in places of accumulation of insects. Repeat the procedure for a week, spraying the plants every other day.
- To prepare the infusion of celandine, you need 300 g of dry or fresh leaves and 10 l of boiling water. The product can withstand the day and use for watering and spraying cucumber beds.
- Infusion of tops is no less effective in the fight against aphids. 1 kg of tomato or potato tops must be chopped, pour 10 liters of boiling water and insist for 3-6 hours. To avoid burns of cucumber leaves, it is not recommended to exceed the specified dosage.
- Well infused onion peel, and for the preparation of funds you can use it both fresh and dry. It will take about 0.5 buckets of husk. It should be crushed and filled with water heated to 60 ° C. Let it brew for 24 hours, filter and dilute with clean water in a 1: 2 ratio.
- You can use in the fight against pests of cucumbers infusion of hot pepper. You should take 50 g of pods (fresh or dried), gently chop, pour 1 liter of boiling water and let stand for 2 hours, then bring the amount to 10 liters and carefully spray the infected aphid areas at the rate of 1 liter per 10 square meters. m. Instead of capsicum powder, ground powder can be used. Processing must be carried out with a respirator and gloves.
- Effectively used to combat harmful insects infusion of garlic. Cut 30 g of cloves with husk or pass through a press and pour 10 l of water. The product must be kept under the cover for 2 days and used for processing plantings.
So that preparations made by your own hands do not drip from leaves and stems and are not washed off by rain, it is recommended to add 40-50 g of any liquid soap to ready-made products.
One of the main rules in the fight against aphids: you need to regularly process cucumber beds with home remedies, since this insect quickly spreads and can greatly harm the future crop.